Recommendations for change include:
- Changing planning laws to encourage retention
- Redefining what the terms mean and at what point they kick in. As an example significance used to be reached at 2.5 m
- Requiring replacement of trees removed on the same site
- Ensuring all new developments have at least one tree planted before handover. And that this tree be maintained
- Incentives to retain trees
- Valuing trees at their real value and insisting that this value is paid to Council when approval is given.
- Unley has just completed its new Tree Strategy, it worth a read. https://www.unley.sa.gov.au/files/assets/public/council/about-the-council/city-of-unley-tree-strategy-2020.pdf