An update from this months meeting;
- Orphanage Park was again discussed at my request. I had a fruitful meeting with a resident and with staff. This will see the $50,000 that we already have in funding to be used for further minor upgrading such as removal of desert Ash suckers in the creek bed, removal of dead branches from some trees, some changes to the play area to reduce localised flooding and replacement of some fencing. We will also investigate the development for a Community Land Management Plan to be written in 2012/13. No further work will be done on the lay back of the creek or the works proposed for the northern creek area in the foreseeable future.
- The third quarter budget review saw an increase of $205,00 in this years financial liabilities.
- We are trying to establish, with other Councils, a firm commitment from the Federal government regarding ongoing local roads funding.
- Culvert street in Parkside will become a one way street (at the entrance) to allow for a pedestrian crossing in that location, this will be completed as part of the Glen Osmond Creek works.
- We also discussed a motion put my Michael Hewitson to ask staff to find further savings in the budget. This motion was defeated, not because this isn't a good idea but because the savings identified would see a minor rate reduction rather than expenditure on other projects that our Community is demanding of us.
The Mayor has decided that the Sturt Football Club players will be wearing jumpers emblazoned with the City of Unley logo this year. This will be at a cost of $2,000. I am concerned at the precedent that this may set for other clubs also asking for sponsorship. This was not a decision made by Council.