Greening Verges are back for 2020!
Unley residents and organisations are now eligible to apply for a Greening
Verges Incentive to assist in greening their verge (nature strip).
For a limited number of successful applicants, Council will remove existing dolomite and replace with 100mm depth of soil at no cost, leaving the verges ready for planting.
Please note that applicants must agree to source and pay costs associated with plants, planting the verge and ongoing maintenance.
In addition to extra greenery, landscaping a verge contributes in many positive ways by:
- providing a healthier environment for street trees
- softening the effect of hard surfaces such as roads and footpaths
- improving air quality
- working at natural air conditioners through moisture in leaves
- reducing stormwater run-off, and
- providing habitat for small creatures like bees and butterflies.
Need Some Verge Garden Inspiration?
Our display verges at Edmund Avenue
showcase a variety of plants and treatments that you could use to transform
your verge into an attractive garden feature.
Take a stroll down Edmund Avenue, Unley and be inspired by contemporary, cottage, natural and formal layout examples, including different path ideas. All meet the guidelines of safe plant choices and low plant heights to ensure good sight lines for road users. A matching planting guide with suggested plant species is also available.