Why are these devices so hated in Byron Road?
I received a petition from the residents (signed by over 50 in the street alone) in this street outlining the problems with them including;
- The continual speeding of cars and lack of courtesy to other drivers
- Danger to cyclists
- Lots of children in the area including those enjoying the facilities at the Princess Margaret Playground
- Loss of on street parking.
- Difficulty in collection of rubbish
- Detract from the beauty of the street
This weeks Council Agenda has items on;
The petition has been presented to Council and will appear in June's Agenda. The information in it was the very reason that Don and I were able to get some money into the budget 2011/12 for a traffic study in the area.
- The levee on traders in Fullarton Rd; This proved to be quite an issue as the traders who responded to the consultation do not want to pay a levee. However, traders on the other main streets pay a levee to their traders association that allows each precinct to spend money to promote and upgrade their streets. This has worked effectively for a number of years.
- Budget documents for 2011/12 for Centennial Park Cemetery.
- Safe pedestrian access near building sites: How often have you noticed that when the builder moves in the footpath is overtaken with all sorts of builders material and the pedestrians have to walk around the site in whatever way they can manage. This caused a little debate and disappointment was expressed about the time footpaths take to repair and the amount of damage done to them. Ultimately the builder has to reinstate the footpath or reimburse the Council when it repairs the damage. Staff now photograph the site before the builder starts so there can be little dispute about the existing condition on completion. One footpath that seems to have been missed in this is Merlon St. We didn't resolve the access issues during building.
- Review of Confidentiality Orders; which items can now be released to the public and which items should remain confidential and why.
- End of the month financial report. http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Council_Agenda_May_2011.pdf
I am looking forward to the meeting of the Clarence Park Community Centre Board on the 25th May.