Due to the Xmas break there is no City Strategy meeting in December or January. The Agenda looked a bit thin as well. The following was debated ;
- City of Unley Aging Strategy Public Consultation; The strategy is available at http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Att%201%20Item%20316%20FCM%20December%202011.pdf. After consultation Council will fine tune the document and implementation of the most pressing concerns can begin. One that most of you would be concerned about is improved maintenance standards for streets and footpaths. The document is well worth reading.
- Temporary Extension of Clearways;This concerns Glen Osmond Road during the Clipsal event.
- Quarterly update on Planning and Strategic Design;
DPA 2 is now on the Minister's desk. Planning is underway for consultation as soon as it has been signed off. This is the Amendment that will have the greatest impact in Goodwood South.
DPA3 is also now on the Minister's desk and ready to go to consultation as soon as it is signed. This effects Greenhill and Unley Rds.
The heritage DPA is waiting for the outcome regarding the heritage listing of the stone lining in Brownhill Creek. Council would like to see them listed as Local Heritage rather than State Heritage.
The Inner Metro Rim Structure Plan, this plan is being held up by Cabinet. Public consultation will follow their approval.
Unley Central Urban Design Precinct; A Community and Stakeholder engagement plan is being developed. This includes ensuring linkages to King William Rd and not toward Duthy St. Council have recently finalised the purchase of the Old Post Office building on Unley Rd ( Bazaar) to help facilitate the development in this area.
- Tasmanian Local Government Election Results; During my recent trip to Tasmania the Local Government election results were in the newspaper; would you believe the front page and for a few days? The most interesting point was that they were disappointed with a 50% turn out by voters. In South Australia we have about 30% and are complacent about this. Cr Hudson has put a motion on notice to request the LGA to investigate how we might achieve the same. Considering Goodwood South has about 5,000 electors and I was elected with 600 votes that really says it all. This was the second best of any Councillor. One person was elected with just over 200 votes!
- Nominations for the Australia Day awards; There were many nominations for these awards. Reading about the contribution that some people make to the Community is very moving. However, there can only be one winner in each category and they will be announced at the presentation ceremony on Australia Day. All nominees will be invited to the ceremony.
The full Agenda can be found at; http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Council%20Agenda%20December%202011.pdf