|Park hopes strengthen|
|Eastern Courier Messenger, Adelaide by None||01 May 2013|
GOODWOOD residents have backed a plan to create a green buffer between their homes and the Belair train line.
Unley Council decided at a meeting last week (April 22) to investigate asking the State Government to sell it a parcel of land in Devon St South.
The push, lead by Cr Jennie Boisvert, comes as Goodwood residents lament the loss of vegetation near their houses as part of $110 million project to separate the commuter and freight lines.
The Transport Department has already offered the council a small triangular piece of land on Devon St South, but residents believe the area leaves little room for proper revegetation.
The council hopes securing a larger parcel of land will allow it to create a small park, known throughout Unley as a pocket park’’.
It would mean residents would be able to look across the street to something that is attractive and restore an area that looks like a war zone,’’ Cr Boisvert told the meeting.
Goodwood Residents Action Group member Mary Heath told the Eastern Courier Messenger she was happy the council had listened to residents’ concerns.
This gives us hope that we might be left with something green in our street and a possibility of replacing trees that we have lost,’’ Ms Heath said.
F e l l o w m e m b e r S a l l y Humphreys agreed: We see the park as a means of redressing the damage done by the project.’’
A report on the feasibility of approaching the government to buy the land would be presented to the council at a yet to be determined date.
A Transport Department spokeswoman said the department was unable to comment until it received a formal request.