This is my by-line for what The Advertiser called Revolution coming to a council near you. After all, the reporter interviewed a few retiring Mayors and asked them what changes they would like to see. Unfortunately, it takes more that this for real change. The wish list included:
- Shortening the election cycle from 4 years to 3years
- Compulsory voting
- 12 year maximum terms for councillors and 8years for Mayor
- Requiring all candidates to declare if they were a member of a political party
- Allowing candidates to have an electronic copy of the voters roll
- Councillors have to declare where they live
The following is what I think:
- Thus would mean that election years would not always clash with state government elections. Given that we had 2 year terms, then 3 year term and now 4 years, I'd leave well enough alone
- A must if we want electors to take us seriously
- Worth a discussion. I've done 2 year and now a 12 year stint. I don't feel ready to give it up but would be happy to see this implemented.
- Good idea but we need to remain independent from political parties, they have no place in local government in SA
- So much easier to find people
- This is already the case when nominating. However, PO boxes are allowed on electoral material. I'm not sure all and sundry knowing the candidates addresses is necessary. If they are not on the electoral roll or supplementary roll then they can't nominate now.
Post a Comment