16 October 2013

Councils yet to apply for state and federal funding to stop flooding near Brown Hill and Keswick creeks

The following is an update on Brown Hill Creek as seen by the Eastern Courier. This project will not go ahead without the additional state and federal government funding. Both governments are well aware of the reasons for flood mitigation and their need to fund the project. I am surprised that the reporter has not sort the views of the recently formed Save Our Streets group who are adamantly against having any culverts in Unley streets. They firmly believe that a good dam further up the Creek than the previously consulted location, a clearing of the existing creek bed of intrusion (mostly vegetation) and improved water retention in all new developments would eliminate the need for culverts. There is much merit in their view and after seeing the devastation in Devon St one can hardly think any other  street would be looking forward to the same treatment. Council will receive a report on the updated investigations in November, this information will be a public document at that time (hopefully before).

Brownhill Creek. Source: News Limitedby: Emma Altschwager From: Eastern Courier Messenger October 14, 2013 3:17PM 
COUNCILS are yet to apply for $100 million in state and federal funding to end the long-running saga to protect 7000 homes from flooding near Brown Hill and Keswick creeks.
Federal Environment Parliamentary Secretary Senator Simon Birmingham said he was aware of the project and the need for funding.
However, he said the government had not received an official funding request and he was not aware of "any federal funding source that would support this project at this time".
State Environment Minister Ian Hunter said he too had not received a formal funding request for the project but was willing to work with local councils "to explore funding options".
Five catchment councils - Burnside, Unley, Mitcham, West Torrens and Adelaide City - have been debating what work should be done to floodproof homes along the two waterways since 2006.
The five councils committed $50 million to the project earlier this year.
The councils and the Local Government Association (LGA) are lobbying for a further $50 million each from the state and federal governments.
The state Stormwater Management Authority signed off on the bulk of the Brown Hill and Keswick creeks plan in March.
The work includes bypass culverts, detention basins, creek diversions and channel upgrades.
There is still debate between the councils on whether a dam is needed in Brown Hill Creek Recreation Park. The other option is an extra bypass culvert at a yet to be determined site.
Brown Hill Keswick Creek stormwater management project director Michael Salkeld said investigations into a bypass culvert were "well advanced".
"We are currently assessing the outcomes of these investigations, which will be presented for community consultation early in 2014," Mr Salkeld said.
The councils plan to send out information and meet with affected property owners in late January.
LGA chief executive Wendy Campana said the project would not go ahead without state and federal government funding.
"The cost of the project, currently $150 million, will continue to escalate as time passes without a funding commitment from the Abbott and Weatherill governments," Ms Campana said.
"The LGA made it clear during the (election) campaign.
"This funding is vital."
Ms Campana said formal funding requests had not been lodged but the councils were in discussions with both tiers of government.

"The ministers are aware of the plan ... our position just needs to be more formalised," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment