The consultation on and with Community Centres has now been completed. The over riding themes emerging at this time are;
- the positive impact the centres have of people's well-being, sense of connection and community spirit
- praise given to staff for creating a welcoming atmosphere, being approachable and supporting community members to become actively involved in their community
- the importance of volunteers and need to continue to support their involvement in addressing local needs and to be actively involved in running the Centres
· affordability and accessibility are key factors in success of the centres in Unley
· community members were singing the praises of Unley Council in relation to their support of community and for their commitment to seeking community views as part of this project
· access to transport is a critical factor to attendance at the Centre for the users of the Unley Community Centre
· Community Centres provide access to affordable health and well-being programs (exercise opportunities was highlighted)
· Interacting with people at the centre and then seeing them in the community plays an important role to feeling connected to the community
· potential role of community centres in providing workshops and demonstration sites to increase potential for residents to grow food in their backyards
· need to view community centres in the same way as our open space and ensure that this is retained for our community.
· with the proposed ‘high rise’ development proposed for
Unley Road and Greenhill Road, community centres will be
vitally important as areas for the community to gather
· there is an opportunity to strengthen linkages between community centres, and Council’s community services team.
Post a Comment